Hover over the commencement date for details
- Two Day Course
This course is designed to improve your sailing skills by building on your practical and theory knowledge.
12 hours. (2 x 6 hr days). A makeup date is also scheduled in the event of bad weather.
Intermediate level boat handling, sailing and safety theory.
It is assumed that you have some sailing experience and more than likely will have done either Start Sailing or another sailing course previously.
Who should do this course?
Those wishing to further develop their sailing skills.
- Understands the correct use of safety equipment on board.
- Understands the importance of the correct fitting and wearing of personal flotation devices.
- Understands the importance of appropriate clothing and footwear.
- Knows the location and correct operation all safety equipment on board.
- Understands and complies with the rules for wearing of PFD’s.
- Can prepare the sails and rig the boat.
- Knows correct use of halyards, sheets and associated deck hardware.
- Ability to tie the following knots and know their correct use: figure of eight, bowline, round turn and two half hitches, clove hitch, reef knot.
- Can reef and shake out reefs whilst underway.
- Can helm and trim sails effectively on all points of sail.
- Can helm effectively around a triangular course.
- Can tack and gybe effectively as helm.
- Can heave to.
- Understands the effect and importance of heel and trim.
- Can recover a man over board under sail as helm.
- Has a working knowledge of the General, Steering and Sailing rules and their application.
- Knows how to source information on local regulations.
- Understands where to obtain a weather forecast.
- Knows how to raise the alarm in the event of an emergency.
- Understands how to anchor a boat.